How Much Mold Exposure / Poisoning Is Harmful?
Facts You Need to Know about Mold Growth
Mold growth is very common in buildings and homes. And if you’re not careful your exposure to it can cause some serious long-term medical problems. But how much mold exposure is harmful you might be asking? In this article, we will uncover the answers to that pressing question. And go over some other extremely important facts you need to know to keep safe from mold. As well as… be able to realize if you or your family are experiencing symptoms of mold exposure. Let’s get started.
What is mold and how are you exposed?
Mold is a type of fungus that grows in warm, damp, and humid environments. Mostly growing in areas unable to receive sunlight or adequate air circulation. For example bathroom walls, and places plagued with moisture like leaky pipes and so on. You are exposed for two reasons. The first is when mold reproduces: It releases spores into the air and as they travel through the air, they produce allergens. And affect people in different ways when inhaled. How? Well, if you are allergic to mold you will react in a rather predictable way. We commonly call these reactions symptoms. And because mold is not always visible you may not even realize you have come in contact with its tiny spores. The second way of exposure is through doing regular chores around the home. Mold spores can remain dormant and become active when the right conditions present themselves. Mold can grow well on paper products, ceiling tiles, wood products, and paint. Not to be excluded is dust, wallpaper, insulation, drywall, upholstery, fabric, soil, and more. Just being in your garden can expose you to mold. And so can sitting on your couch! Yeah, that old couch you love so much could be harboring mold and you didn’t even know it.
How much mold exposure is harmful?
When you encounter mold spores, whether on your skin or by breathing it in, that is referred to as mold exposure. The degree of mold exposure is different for everyone and has different effects depending on the person’s immunity to mold. What does that mean? It means that some people are allergic to mold and any exposure to it causes an immediate reaction of sneezing, watery eyes, swelling of the sinuses causing postnasal drip, and even extreme shortness of breath, accompanied by wheezing.
Would you consider that harmful mold poisoning?
You are probably nodding your head in agreement. Some people have zero symptoms when exposed to mold, but that does not mean mold is not making a new home inside your body. Keep reading as we answer the question: What are the minor and major effects of mold exposure?
How long does it take for mold to affect you?
Minor exposure to mold for a person with a compromised immune system can be deadly. Babies and children are in severe danger if mold is introduced into their airways. Causing infection and long-term lung damage. You as an adult can experience minor exposure by weeding the backyard or staining the deck. Mold grows in wood, and if it rains and there was no protection for that deck, mold can grow.
What does minor mold exposure mean?
It means that if you don’t have an allergic reaction, your symptoms will appear minor, a sneeze, a cough, runny noses, nothing major. The time is short, immediate symptoms can occur. So the length it takes to be affected depends on the person experiencing the mold exposure.
What is severe indoor mold exposure?
Severe indoor mold exposure is when an allergic reaction or a person exposed to mold for a long period of time develops undeniable respiratory illness. Where medicine is required to prevent flare-ups. Even healthy children with no history of allergies can develop shortness of breath and respiratory illness when exposed to damp indoor places. But this can take much longer, making it seem as it came from nowhere, but it can be the by-product of mold exposure.
What are the long-term health effects of mold exposure?
Now you know how much mold exposure is harmful. But are there long-term effects of being exposed to mold? This a valid question to ask. Here is your answer. The biggest factor to remember is the time of exposure. If you have been living in a home riddled with mold over the years you are highly likely to have fungal build up inside you. Which leads to long-term respiratory problems. So not having symptoms from a mold is not a get out of jail free card. Mold can decide to no longer sleep and once the ideal environment presents itself cause you discomfort. Why are we telling you this? Because mold exposure is serious, no matter if you don’t have symptoms now. It needs to be taken seriously.
Mold Allergic Reactions
- Environmental Induced asthma
- Chronic shortness of breath
This list is just some of the long-term effects of mold exposure. Precision Environmental Services is a great place to start if you have more questions about your home and the air quality. The professional testing for mold is second to none. Call them at (940) 597-2673.
What can you do to protect and prevent yourself from mold exposure?
Protecting you and your family from a mold is necessary. You can control mold growth in your home by:
- Controlling humidity levels – this can be done with an air conditioner or dehumidifier.
- Fix any leaks – Roofs, windows, pipes are some common places to start.
- Ventilate the bathroom, laundry, and kitchen areas – having a fan in these areas can help remove moisture after the area has been used.
It’s a great idea to get professional help when trying to mold-proof your home. Precision Environmental services knows how much mold exposure is harmful and, all the tips and tricks on how to remove mold from your home. They also use extremely accurate tools to determine if mold is present in the home. With decades of experience, they can come and help you feel safe quickly and save you time handling this delicate matter.
Time to clear the air of mold toxicity and mold prevention
Mold is a fungus. It grows in many places, making it a chameleon of danger for you and your family. You know that… how much mold exposure is harmful? It is a loaded question. It doesn’t matter how much. Depending on the circumstances, minor exposure (meaning immediate) can cause serious health symptoms, causing discomfort for the person allergic in the moldy environment.
Resolve your mold problems by calling Precision Environmental Services today!
You know how to prevent mold from growing and who to call if you want air quality testing done, with the possibility or mold remediation. If you forgot it is Precision Environmental Services and they can be reached at (940) 597-2673. Pick up the phone and call them today and make your home safe by taking the time to clear the air.